Any expert will stress how important gastrointestinal health is for our overall well-being. Our guts are filled with bacteria – both good and bad strains – that can greatly influence our health and how we feel. Dogs are no different. Keeping your French Bulldog’s digestive system running optimally is essential to making sure that he/she stays healthy, active, and lives a full and healthy life.
The gut is the largest immune organ in the body and contains approximately 70% of all immune cells. Likely, the majority of a French Bulldog’s immune system resides in their gut. Just like it’s important for us to have a healthy bacterial balance in our GI tracts, or guts, our loyal Frenchie friends benefit from a healthy gut environment, too. One of the best ways you can help keep your Frenchie healthy is by giving them high-quality dog probiotics every day. What probiotics do for our Frenchie (and us) is provide healthy bacteria to support digestive and immune system health.
Benefits for French Bulldogs
The benefits of giving your Frenchie probiotics are endless. Although we suggest starting your Frenchie on probiotics before problems arise, it is better late than never. A few behavior triggers may need urgent care, but also could be improved by the use of probiotics. These are:
- Infection or bacterial imbalance
- Stress: As in humans, changes that cause emotional stress, such as boarding, moving, or losing a home, can result in colitis. That’s one reason why many dogs in shelters suffer from diarrhea. Some studies have suggested that probiotics work as well as antibiotics in clearing up diarrhea in shelter dogs.
- Diet: This can include abrupt changes in the food type, eating food that is spoiled, or food that just doesn’t agree with the dog.
- Old age
- Medications: Antibiotics and long-term steroids are known culprits in causing diarrhea by killing good bacteria.
Any of these indications should urge the use of probiotics, or you might consider giving your healthy dog a probiotic if he is prone to developing diarrhea in stressful situations.
On the other hand, there are many benefits for already healthy French Bulldogs to start or continue to use probiotics. The normal health benefits are:
- Prevent obesity, liver disease, and mood/behavior disorders
- Aid digestion and modulate the immune system
- Produce short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs), which inhibit the growth and activity of harmful bacteria, such as E. coli, Salmonella, and Clostridium perfringens
- Reduce UTI’s and allergic reactions
Which Probiotics to Use
Our favorite brand of Probiotics is Healthy Treatz, and you can conveniently find them on Amazon. They are chewy, tasty, and made with all the ingredients needed to benefit your Frenchie in every way listed above. Each chew is loaded with 2 billion CFU of Prebiotics and Probiotics, and it is perfect for dogs of any age. A daily treat of this probiotic supplement will also improve skin and coat appearance and reduce bad breath of French Bulldogs or any other dog breed.
If you are ready to give your Frenchie the happy, healthy life they deserve, shop now.